Careers at Zeller / Engineering
Integrations / Backend Engineer (Mid / Senior)
Accepting payments, managing your finances, and paying recipients should be simple. Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case. Finding integrated financial solutions to help your business thrive often requires you to weave together multiple products from different providers. While a small group of large enterprises enjoy the privilege of financial solutions tailored for their specific needs, the vast majority of Australian businesses are underserved due to a lack of innovation, disparate providers, opaque pricing, and restrictive contracts.
We believe in a level playing field where all businesses benefit from access to smarter payments technology and integrated financial services that enables them to accelerate their cash flow. So we’re hard at work building the tools to accomplish this.
Zeller is backed by leading VCs, and brings together a team of experienced payment and tech industry professionals who are aiming to redefine business banking and financial services for Australian businesses. With an exciting roadmap of innovative new products under development, we are building a high performing team to take on the incumbents.
If you are passionate about innovation, thrive in fast-moving environments, love a challenge, hate bureaucracy and can’t think of anything more exciting than disrupting the banks, we’re putting together a team you might want to join.
As an Integrations Engineer you will be responsible for architecting and developing highly available, robust and secure application interfaces for public consumption, integration with our partners where the roles of producer and consumer may vary. You will be designing and developing APIs, developer ecosystem, backend and database/data-storage. You will also have a mindset of a product owner with appreciation for user friendliness and quality of the developer ecosystem. Ideally you will have experiences working with Point of Sale systems and their integrations.
With automation and maintenance being at the heart of our engineering principles, this position will have the enviable opportunity to adopt and promote best practices, leading edge technologies and trends. Not limited to a single product area or type, this role will work in a cross functional team with skill sets in full stack software engineering, devops, infrastructure, quality assurance or systems architecture. You will collaborate with a cross-disciplinary team to own product software development, contribute and promote standards and engineering best practices, support operational activities such as; process automation, compliance activities, SLA upkeep requirements.
You’ll be tasked with translating business or product requirements into technical designs, working closely with partners to form and agree on technical solutions, hands-on implementation of the designs to see through its testing and deployment into various environments such as; development, stress testing, integration testing, staging and production. You will enjoy the fun of development from scratch in some application components while adhering to the company engineering standards, frameworks and best practices. You will also be a collaborative engineer capable of observing and contributing to existing works by other team members. Automation and maintenance is key, you will be excited to see through your contributions into production and maintain their longevity in the mission-critical environment.
We are looking for candidates with experience across the following areas:
- Architect, develop and maintain a user friendly developer ecosystem
- Design and implementation in various protocols e.g. RESTful, GraphQL, SOAP
- Good knowledge of IoT pub/sub protocols e.g. MQTT, AMQP and WebSockets
- Documentation - veteran in API documentation frameworks e.g. OpenAPI (Swagger), RAML … etc
- Security - strong knowledge of authentication standards and platforms e.g. JWT, OAuth, Identity Federation
- Ecosystem development e.g. developer portal, partner integration support, SDK, Sandbox, API keys
- Strong background in software engineering and design patterns
- Strong experience in microservices and serverless architecture
- Proficient in Typescript, NodeJS
- Familiar with TDD, BDD
- Experience in cloud native architecture (AWS)
- Good knowledge in databases and data-stores - SQL, NOSQL
- Instinctive desire to maintain code tidiness and zero technical debt
- Appreciation and know-how in CICD
- Knowledge in secured coding e.g. OWASP, XSS, CORS
- Proven track record in developing and maintaining mission-critical high-load production systems with SLA 99.999%
- Proven track record in supporting rapid and agile product deployments to different environments - dev, test, stress-testing, staging/production.
- Loves challenging the status-quo
- Ability to work autonomously yet collaboratively
- Prepared to be bold yet consistent with your engineering principles
- Logical, ethical, mature and responsible
- Fast learner, humble and loves to share knowledge
- Calm and exercises positive level of stress in exceptional circumstances such as; production issues, timeline requirements
Qualifications and experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor degree in software engineering (or related)
- 4+ years of working experience in a technical hands on software engineering role
- Demonstrable experiences in developing mission-critical systems
- Exposure to .NET, Java
- Knowledge in architecture patterns such as; CQRS, event-sourcing
- Understanding of data lake and data warehousing
- Experience in AWS Cloud environment
- Lambda, API Gateway
- SNS, SQS, EventBridge, Step Functions
- Loading Balancing, Route53, CloudFront, ECS, ECR, Auto-Scaling
- S3, RDS, DynamoDB, DocumentDB
- CodePipeline, CodeBuild, CodeDeploy
- CloudWatch logs, events, triggers
- CloudTrail, X-Ray
You have experience with:
- Open Banking
- POS software development
- Accounting software providers
- Working within a high-growth environment
- Other cloud platforms (Azure, Google)
- Other programming languages
- Frontend development (web - React, mobile development - Android)
- Financial services or payments
- PCI compliant environments (PCI-DSS, etc)
What’s in it for you
- Be part of something big from the outset
- Watch your design work put up in lights
- A balanced, progressive and supportive work environment
- Competitive salary
- A package which includes equity from an early stage